"I don't want life to imitate art, I want life to be art."
- Meryl Streep in Postcards From The Edge

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"I'm an English teacher, not fucking Tomb Raider."

So for the last two weeks, ever since I had to have surgery to remove all 4 of my wisdom teeth I cannot stop watching the 6 Harry Potter movies! Literally! I just keep switching around the DVD's in the order as they go, just watching them over and over again. So tonight I finally put all the HP DVD's back on the shelves and pulled out tonight's selection...
The Descent!
The Descent is about a group of European women who meet up in a remote part of the Appalachians for an extreme exploration of a cave hidden deep in the woods one year after a tragic accident that killed the husband and daughter of the groups best friend Sarah who will be joining them for the first time since the accident.
Only the friends don't know that the mastermind behind the trip, Juno, the newcomer to the group of lifelong friends, is taking them into an unknown cave that hasn't been explored before-- and has no known way out.

So as the ladies struggle with the effects of the dark and the conflicting feelings towards each other they continue to travel further and deeper into the cave and discover that they aren't alone.

This movie truly creeped me out! I remember seeing this in theaters with my boyfriend and clinging to his arm the whole time.

Not only do you get scared by the creatures that lie within the dark of the cave but the whole film is either really dark or an creepy red tint, so you really can't see what's coming at you or when!


The creatures in this movie were really amazing too, whoever thought them up were really creative. It's as if these... things were mutated humans who thrived in the dark and fed on the flesh of people who entered their cave!

There is also a sub-story the runs throughout the movie- a certain love triangle/betrayal thing, Juno had been having an affair with Sarah's husband right before he died! So once Sarah finds out- and she does- she goes out for revenge!

Juno is still my favorite character, even though she was a husband steeling whore! lol. She is just such an epic character! She risks her life and the lives of her friends to go through this unknown cave in hopes of naming it out of Sarah- out of guilt over the affair- and doesn't really care about the reaction of said friends! And once the shit really hits the fan she really works hard to get her friends and herself out of there!

I seriously recommend this movie to every horror movie buff out there! It will really creep you out and keep you on the edge of your seat!

Also, just last year they released a sequel to this movie and it is just as epic as this one! So I recommend everyone to go out and rent both The Descent and The Descent: Part 2!

So until later, I'm just Simply Bitsie!

No comments:

Post a Comment